Monday, August 3, 2009

What flowers can I plant in southern Germany?

I recently moved to southern Germany and I want to plant some flowers on my balcony porch thing. My only problem is that I don't know what flowers I can grow in this climate at this time of year, nor can I find a website in English (since I don't speak/read German enough to make any sense of it) that helps me out.





So, what can I grow where I live? I would prefer to plant flowers, but I can go for herbs and other things like that too.
Say
FlowersBirthday FlowersSympathy FlowersIn southern Germany, you have to be careful , because we have very warm areas, but also colder spots near the alps or in wood/hill areas.





If your balcony is facing south, you might get problems with the intense sunlight in summer.





I'll list stuff that proved useful on my balcony last summer; they are all plants that will survive hot temperatures and occasional droughts:





- portulaca grandiflora





- lewisia cotyledon





- lavender





- rosemary





- genista





- olive tree





- dwarf pine trees





- succulents like sedum or sempervivum (you get them at any German garden centre)








This year I'm going to try Scaevola Aemula as well.
Reply:Hey funkymunkyninja,





You can plant what ever grows in zone 6 in the USA, and depending on your location in Southern Germany - maybe even zone 7. So, use the internet to find plants that tolerate those zones.puppy teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment