Monday, August 3, 2009

Is it normal for my pumpkin plants to still be only flowers?

Is it normal for there not to be pumpkins growing yet? Should I hand pollinate? How do I hand pollinate? From what I've read it just says to fertilize a female flower from a male, but how do you tell them apart? Also, when I go out to check on them only one flower ever seems to be open at a time while the rest reamained closed.
Say
FlowersBirthday FlowersSympathy FlowersMake sure to check them in the early morning sun. Once the temp starts going up, the flowers close. I don't know where you live at but I'm from NW Ohio and pumpkins usually come on in late July/early August. You can try hand polinating. Take a q-tip and rub the male flowers "penis", then rub it on the inside of the female flower. Here's how to tell the difference: The first link is a male and the second a female.
Reply:the female will have a 'baby pumpkin' behind flower


(which dies if not pollinated)


the male is on a longer stem


could just brush the male flower


into the femalegenealogy mormon

No comments:

Post a Comment